Sunday, December 4, 2011

Country Christmas




On wide river bottoms
The snow is deep.
The cottontails hop
And the wild deer leap.

It is so warm and cozy
In our sleigh
As it’s being pulled
By our trusty bay.

Sunlight sparkles off
The ice covered bluff.
This short trip we’re on
Is just long enough.

A gray trail of smoke
I see just ahead.
I wonder if the fire
Is baking bread?

Sleigh bells jingle
As we slide to a stop.
Mom gets out, then
Out of the sleigh I hop.

The old house is filled
With wondrous smells
While Grandma cooks
Some stories grandpa tells.

Mom helps Grandma.
Dad brings in some wood.
I’d share this with you
If only I could.

The cedar is trimmed
With silver and gold.
The tree is covered
With all it can hold.

Bulbs on its branches
Red, green and blue.
I smell the turkey
And the giblet stew.

The meal is grand
I cherish every bite.
This table spread is
A beautiful sight.

It’s time for the presents
Under the tree.
Here’s one for Mom and Dad.
Here’s one for me.

My country Christmases
I treasure so.
The joy and love
And ride in the snow.







A.L. Shipman, Jr.
10-15-84




© 2011 A.L. Shipman, Jr. All Rights Reserved. Watermark template. Powered by Blogger.

1 comment:

  1. Leon, I loved this when I read it before the holidays and I thought that I had told you in a comment but evidently I didn't. It is way I always think of Christmas like the Christmas card image. It has all the things needed to be prefect; snow, horse drawn sleigh, fireplace, delicious food and most importantly FAMILY. I thank you.

    ReplyDelete